School Activity Trail
School Acivity Trails are important for children's development, and having a outdoor play facilities allow pupils to practise a range of skills.
Many young people have low levels of physical activity which negatively affects their health, if schools are able to improve their outdoor facilities this can encourage kids to become more active.
If you have a budget in mind we can offer you a quote for installing playground equipment and surface markings which suit what you need.
It's important for kids to develop outdoor learning skills by using different pieces of play equipment outside.
This is something OFSTED look for when completing inspections and is often outlined as an improvement that some schools need to make.
You can choose between a number of different components to create an engaging obstacle trail which is perfect for kids of different ages. This could be for EYFS , KS1, KS2 and secondary school level facilities.
What is a School Activity Trail?
A school activity trail is an outdoor facility that can be used for children and young people to have fun and burn energy in an interactive and inventive way.
These trails allow the children to develop their physical health through exercise and running around, whilst also developing their imagination.
The activity trails involve a series of courses that link together to make a circuit which the children can complete. The courses could be as long or as small as your facility chooses and we can adapt our trails to suit you.
To find out more information about School Activity Trails please fill in the contact form provided. Our team will get back to you as soon as possible with more information which you may require and a quote.
Types of School Active Trails
School activity trails come in various types, catering to different needs, available spaces, and budgets. Here are several types of school activity trails:
- Nature Trails: Nature trails wind through natural environments like forests, wetlands, or grasslands. They often have educational signage about nature. They provide opportunities for nature exploration and environmental education.
- Fitness Trails: Fitness trails feature exercise stations strategically placed along a walking or running path. Each station has playground equipment for specific exercises. They promote physical fitness, cardiovascular health, and muscle strength.
- Sensory Trails: Sensory trails are designed to engage the senses. They may include textured paths, aromatic gardens, wind chimes, and other sensory elements. They stimulate sensory perception, enhance relaxation, and provide sensory experiences for individuals with special needs.
- Story Trails: Story trails combine reading and physical activity. Stories are displayed along a trail, encouraging readers to walk or run from one segment to the next. They promote literacy, encourage reading, and make physical activity enjoyable for children.
- Obstacle Courses: An obstacle course usually consists of various challenges such as climbing walls, balance beams, and tunnels arranged along a trail. They improve agility, balance, coordination, and problem-solving skills. Encourage teamwork and friendly competition.
- Science and Exploration Trails: Science trails incorporate interactive exhibits related to scientific concepts, astronomy, geology, or environmental science. They encourage curiosity, provide hands-on learning experiences, and promote interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields.
- Bicycle Trails: Bicycle trails are designed for cycling, with smooth paths, gradual slopes, and safety features such as barriers or designated lanes. They promote cycling as a physical activity, improve cardiovascular health, and provide a safe space for biking.
- Meditation/Mindfulness Trails: Meditation or mindfulness trails are designed with meditation areas, labyrinth paths, or serene gardens, encouraging contemplation and relaxation. They enhance mental well-being, reduce stress, promote mindfulness, and provide a peaceful outdoor space.
- Art Trails: Art trails feature sculptures, murals, and interactive art installations along a designated path. They enhance creativity, provide exposure to art, and create an aesthetically pleasing environment.
- Historical/Cultural Trails: Historical or cultural trails showcase local history, heritage sites, or cultural landmarks. They often include informational plaques or interactive exhibits. They provide educational insights into local history and culture, promote awareness and appreciation of heritage.
Schools can choose or combine these types of activity trails based on their educational objectives, available school playground space, and the interests and needs of their students and community. Each type offers unique benefits, contributing to a well-rounded and engaging educational environment.
Costs of School Activity Trails
The average cost for school activity trails to be installed is £4,500 - £15,000.
The costs associated with school activity trails can vary widely depending on several factors, such as the size and complexity of the trail, materials used, location, and additional features included in the project. Here are some of the primary cost factors to consider:
- Trail Design and Planning: Hiring a professional trail designer or landscape architect to plan the layout and design of the trail can be a significant cost.
- Materials: The type of materials used for the trail surface, markers, benches, and other structures greatly influences the cost. Natural materials like gravel or mulch might be cheaper than paved surfaces or specialised trail materials designed for durability and safety.
- Labour: Labour costs for construction, including excavation, grading, and installation of trail features, play a significant role. Skilled labour will be necessary for specialised tasks.
- Accessibility: Ensuring the trail is accessible to people with disabilities might require additional features like ramps, handrails, or other accessibility accommodations, which can increase costs.
- Trail Features: Features such as bridges, boardwalks, interpretive signs, rest areas, and educational stations add to the overall cost. These features can greatly enhance the trail experience but come with their own price tags.
- Landscaping: Landscaping around the trail, including planting trees, shrubs, and flowers, can enhance the trail's aesthetic appeal. However, landscaping costs should be factored in.
- Maintenance: It's important to budget for ongoing maintenance costs, which can include repairs, trail surface maintenance, signage replacement, and general upkeep.
- Permitting and Regulations: Costs related to obtaining necessary permits, complying with regulations, and meeting safety standards should be considered.
- Contingency: It's wise to set aside a portion of the budget for unexpected costs or changes in the project scope.
- Location: The geographic location can affect costs due to differences in material availability, labour rates, and local regulations.
To get an accurate estimate for the costs of a specific school activity trail project, it's best to consult with our companu as we specialise in trail construction
We can assess the site, understand your requirements, and provide a detailed cost estimate based on the specific needs of your project.
What are the Benefits of an Activity Trail at Schools?
Activity trails at schools offer a wide range of benefits for students, teachers, and the school community as a whole. Here are some of the key advantages of having an activity trail on school grounds:
Physical Exercise and Fitness
- Promotes Physical Activity: Encourages students to engage in physical exercise, helping combat childhood obesity and promoting overall fitness.
- Improves Health: Regular physical activity supports better cardiovascular health, muscle development, and overall well-being.
Mental and Emotional Well-being
- Reduces Stress: Outdoor playground activities and exercise are known to reduce stress levels and improve mental health.
- Enhances Mood: Physical activity stimulates the production of endorphins, which can lead to improved mood and increased happiness.
- Encourages Relaxation: Being in nature and engaging in outdoor playground activities can have a calming effect, reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation.
- Enhances Focus and Concentration: Regular physical activity has been linked to improved focus and concentration, which can benefit classroom learning.
- Boosts Brain Function: Exercise is known to enhance cognitive functions and motor skills, including memory, problem-solving, and creativity.
- Encourages Socialisation: Activity trails provide opportunities for students to interact with their peers in a relaxed outdoor setting, fostering social bonds and friendships.
- Promotes Teamwork: Group activities on the trail can encourage teamwork and collaboration among students.
- Hands-on Education: Trails can serve as outdoor classrooms, offering opportunities for experiential and environmental education.
- Nature Exploration: Students can learn about local nature, fostering an appreciation for the environment.
Improved School Environment
- Enhances School Aesthetics: Well-designed activity trails can enhance the overall aesthetics of the school environment, making it more pleasant for students, staff, and visitors.
- Promotes School Pride: A well-maintained activity trail can instil a sense of pride among students and the school community.
Health and Safety
- Promotes Safety: Providing designated areas for physical activities promotes safety by reducing the likelihood of accidents on school grounds.
- Encourages Sun Safety: Trails can be designed with shaded areas, promoting sun safety during outdoor activities.
- Engages Parents and Community: Activity trails can serve as community hubs, bringing parents, teachers, and community members together for events and school playground activities.
Outdoor Facility Specification
The design of your outdoor facility is completely up to you, and we offer a variety of fixed equipment and graphics markings that can be installed to an existing area.
If you are thinking of having a trim trail with climbing structures set up like an obstacle course, we may supply a number of products to create a complete outdoor facility.
These could include balancing beams, climbing walls, rope bridges, monkey bars, ladders which help children with balance, coordination, and fitness as well as being fun and enjoyable.
We can produce the trails in a range of sizes and colours to suit your needs and we may work with you to choose the perfect design for your facility.
This is a great way of working on physical development for children of all ages as it helps practise climbing, strength and agility. These are all key skills outlined in the National Curriculum for pupils to be learning during lessons and break times.
We recommend having a safety surfacing installed around any climbing or balancing equipment to ensure children don’t get hurt if they fall off.
Common safety surfaces for play areas include wetpour and rubber mulch, we can install both of these specifications.
Our safety surfacing can be designed to meet a range of dimensions and colour choices so you can create a personalised look.
The costs of installing an activity trail will vary depending on the type and amount of school playground equipment you want so feel free to contact us for a quote. Playground designs can be tailored for early years children up to age 12 and above so the facility will be suited to the kids who are using it.
Playground Games Circuit
If you don’t want to install climbing equipment and obstacle courses onto your play area, we could create a playground games circuit using coloured floor markings.
These are heat applied to tarmac surfacing and may be designed to create a fun activity course where kids can practise different skills.
The graphics markings are pre-cut into shapes in thermoplastic, and these shapes are laid onto the tarmac, heated up with a burner and then melted so they stick to the school playground surface.
A variety of bright colours are available so you can have a vibrant and exciting area for kids to play games.
The different designs that are often chosen for a playground games circuit include footsteps, numbers, letters, commands, hopscotch, spinning circles and any other features you would like to include.
By having a range of activities in the circuit, children can improve their fitness and have fun playing with others and making up their own games.
Educational markings could also be included as these help with OFSTED reports if you have outdoor learning areas where children can practise new skills.
Other Playground Equipment We Offer
Contact Our Team!
If you would like a quote for installing a school activity trail please complete our enquiry form with the details and a brief description of what you are looking for.
One of our School Playground Equipment Ltd experts will supply you with all the information you need including costs and design options for playground equipment and safety surfacing.
Searches Associated with School Activity Trail
- School Activity Trail Installers
- School Activity Trail Ideas
- Voted Best School Activity Trail Company
- Best School Activity Trail Companies
- School Activity Trail Company Near Me
- Play Equipment for Activity Trail
- Activity Trail Design
- Activity Trail for Play Area